Resources for Parents

Dear Parent and/or Legal Guardian,

During our time of physical closure, we are still providing services to our parents and students. The following information will assist you during this time period. Even though we cannot visit with you in person, we will take every opportunity to assist you during this time. Here are a few reminders, frequently asked questions and answers.

1. Remote Learning

2. Code of Conduct

Students must still follow the Student Code of Conduct. School rules and the authority of the district to administer discipline apply whenever the interest of the district is involved, on or off school grounds, in conjunction with or independent of classes and school-sponsored activities. Any bullying, harassment or social media concerns may be reported through our Bullying Reporting form at

3. Registration

a. For the 2020-21 school year, all campus registrations will be completed online. If you are a returning or new student, you must complete online registration. More information available at Please notify the campus registrar that you have completed registration. The campus registrar contact information can be found under the About Us section on your campus website.

b. If you are changing campuses for the 2020-2021 academic year, please fill out this form: and upload to online registration. Once a transfer is requested in TEAMS, the system will electronically send information to the appropriate personnel for approval. Upon approval and notification to the campus registrar, the registrar will contact you so you can complete the rest of online registration.

Transfers requested for the current 2019-2020 school year please contact the Associate Superintendent’s office at 915.877.7475. During this period of remote learning, we highly recommend that the student remains enrolled at their current campus. The transfer deadline is May 1, 2020.

 c. If you need to withdraw your student completely from Canutillo ISD during this time period, please send the campus registrar or PEIMS Clerk your signed written request electronically and include the following:

  • the date of withdrawal
  • the city and name of district where you intend to enroll your student
  • a contact number and email address for yourself.
  • Please make sure that the receiving district sends us a records request (if outside of Texas) or a TREX request (a Texas Public School or Charter).
  • Please contact the campus principal to turn in the tablet or laptop before you move.

5. Transcripts

Senior transcripts may be requested through your high school registrar. If the student is not 18, the registrar may ask you to upload a parent signature to release the transcript. All transcripts are free for current students. We will provide unofficial transcripts to students and/or parents.
Scholarship season for our seniors is very important to us. If you have a packet that requires a transcript, please provide an email address of the person who is to receive the packet.

6. Verification of Enrollment for a Driver's License

If you are requesting a verification of enrollment for a Driver's License, please contact the campus attendance office which can be found under the “About Us” section on your campus website.

7. Informal parent complaints may be initiated by submitting your concern through this form: Per Board policy, we ask you to work with your campus principal to solve your issues. If you have any questions, concerning the parent complaint process, please feel free to contact Christine Hernandez at