Team Canutillo competed with heart and determination at the 2016 El Paso Area Special Olympics (SO) held at Burges High School May 14. Organizers said it was a great success thanks to the hard work of the athletes as well as so many other people who stepped in up to help with the events.
“The goal was to make our parents and children with special needs feel valued and pampered as they prepared and competed in the Special Olympics,” said Dr. Harri Baumann, Canutillo ISD Physical Therapist.
The CISD Special Education Department expressed sincere gratitude to all who helped make this event a memorable time in the Special Olympians’ athlete’s lives.
“All the smiles captured in photographs and an abundance of medals was the result of commitment and hard work that went into preparing our Olympians throughout the district!” said Coach Maria (Lucy) Marquez, CHS Life Skills teacher.
A special thank you to:
• The administration and amazing classroom personnel in the CHS Life Skills class, CMS SO Coach and para-professional Stephanie Camacho, AMS administration, DSC teacher and staff, CES administration, DSC teachers and staff. Occupational Therapists Gretchen Kimble and Karen Springer, and CMS para-professional Sandra Alvidrez.
• The many student and adult volunteers assigned to escort for athlete and others duties as needed including at the Opening Ceremony, and Special Olympic Event and the Dave & Buster’s dinner and arcade experience.
• The CHS volunteers, students, ROTC, NHS and staff for providing a one-in-a-lifetime PEP rally for our athletes complete with cheerleaders and the band.
• The Special Education Department for providing and coordinating the buses for practices, the pep rally tents, tables, benches, water coolers, check-in for families and athletes, and photographs for day of the Special Olympics Event.
• Sponsors and partners:
- Anytime Fitness – Special Olympic Team T-Shirts and procuring other donations from Sunland Park Chrysler for Dave & Buster’s Entertainment Center.
- Caliber Collision – for enormous volunteer support to provide the set-up, support for any needs that arose as well as providing , water, shade, snacks, beverages, lunch from Firehouse Subs, and pizza during the Special Olympic Events for our athletes and their ‘VIP’ parents.
- Dave & Buster’s- for going above and beyond to provide an excellent experience for our event by accommodating us and being very flexible!
- Sunland Park Chrysler Dodge – for providing a wonderful experience to Dave & Buster’s Entertainment Center including a full dinner for our athletes and their families as well as unlimited play in the arcade.