benefits are plentiful. Communication in a familiar language makes it
easier for children to understand class work and homework... and it
allows their families to take an active role in their education. In the
Canutillo ISD Bilingual Education Program, students continue
developing their ability to speak their native language while becoming
excellent English speakers.
Knowing how to speak and read two
languages creates many opportunities for students, who are later able
to use their bilingual skills to secure better jobs and to participate
fully in society.
Language, Learning, Achievement...
the moment children are born, the familiar sounds and structures of
language become the tools for a lifetime of learning. During the first
years of schooling, these tools support children's ability to learn
and understand the subjects they are taught, from math to science to
history and art. Throughout their lives, language is what allows
people to understand the world around them and communicate with one
In Canutillo ISD, where children enter bilingual
education programs speaking Spanish or another language, students
begin learning English immediately. They continue to receive
instruction in English over a period of years, until they master the
language- but they're also able to learn important subject matter in
their native language to ensure they don't fall behind.
Research About How Children Learn Best Tells Us Students In Bilingual Education:
- Learn English well;
- Succeed academically;
- Stay in school;
- Perform better in important subjects such as math, science and history; and
- Prepare for the best opportunities in America without losing appreciation for their native language and culture.
The Best Bilingual Programs Are Those That:
- Expect high achievement from students and hold schools responsible for their success;
- Have teachers trained to work with children who are learning English;
- Make the most of children's linguistic and cultural backgrounds; and
- Can be adapted to different communities, different students, and different schools.
education is like every good educational program. It starts by
recognizing that each child learns at a different rate. It uses the
child's strengths to address his or her weaknesses. And it leads the
child toward success in school and beyond.